Birkdale's Original Railway Station
- David Walshe

- Jul 12
- 3 min read
It’s a little known fact, but Hillside station, where thousands upon thousands of golf fans will be alighting this week, very quietly celebrated its centenary back in May. The station was officially opened to the public on 1st May 1926, filling the gap between Ainsdale & Birkdale on the electric line.

Prior to the station and the area being developed. ‘Lloyds Siding’ occupied the site of Hillside station, where late historian Harry Foster tells us that, ‘The Railway carried fresh milk into the city (Liverpool). Early morning loading of milk churns and field produce at Lloyd’s Sidings, near the old Birkdale station became a daily routine’. Lloyd’s Siding also included some housing- originally facing the track, a row of nine pairs of semi-detached cottages were built for railway workers. Still standing today, these properties now form part of Lynton Drive and were switched ‘back to front’ some time ago.



But where was the original Birkdale Station, and what did it look like? Well, the much frequented Birkdale station as we know it to this day opened in 1851, as part of the improvements to the Liverpool, Crosby & Southport Railway. However, the original Birkdale station was actually closer to where Hillside station is today. Opening in 1848 on the line between Southport & Waterloo, the site was approx. opposite where No. 61 & 62 Dover Road stand today. Very few images of it survive, despite it still being in existence into the 1960s- the 1952 directory records a Mrs Margaret Fitzpatrick as residing there. It can be seen clearly on the 1st edition six inch OS map, with ‘Gilbert’s Crossing’ shown in the vicinity- a primitive level crossing area across sandy tracks, upon what was then the edge of old Birkdale Common.


What images do exist show us that the build was almost identical to that of the former station masters house (and ticket office) of the original Southport terminus, still standing at the Portland Street level crossing. Other stations along this line where also of a similar build, the original Ainsdale station being one. Some writers have suggested that the house still standing at the Duke Street level crossing was also a station, however, my research shows that it did not exist until at least 1873, appearing in the 1873/74 directory as a ‘gate house’, with Thomas Chorlton as the gate keeper.



So, when you’re wandering around Birkdale Village, or enjoying the amenities of Hillside, or
perhaps pounding the streets off the beaten track along Portland Street, have a good look around for the railway history mentioned above.
©David Walshe (Secret Sand Land) 2026




Comments